Encore - Spectacular Copper Harbor Sunset

January 17, 2015

EPOD_Encore6a0105371bb32c970b0120a6a71f01970b

Take a look back at some of the EPODs our viewers found particularly eye-catching. Today, and every Saturday, EPOD invites you to rediscover favorites from the past. Saturday posts feature an EPOD that was chosen by viewers like you in our monthly Viewers’ Choice polls. Join us as we look back at these intriguing and captivating images.
_________________________________________________

Photographer: S. I. Smith; Sharon’s Web Page
Summary Authors: S. I. Smith; Jim Foster

The photo above showing a spectacular sanguine sunset was taken from Copper Harbor, Michigan on October 4, 2008 at 8:00 p.m. I had my back to the Sun and suddenly noticed that the entire atmosphere, including both sky and landscape, seemed to be glowing red. I looked behind me, caught my breath and then dashed for my camera. Evidently, there were an exceptional amount of aerosols in the atmosphere on this early autumn day. The greater the number of particles in the atmosphere, the greater the scattering and absorption, and thus less light is transmitted. When the Sun is near the horizon, and if the air is quite clean, about 1/3 of red light and only about 1/100,000 of violet light reaches the surface. Once the Sun is below the horizon, the atmosphere is aerosol rich and mid- and high-altitude clouds cover much of the sky, twilight is rendered in shades of scarlet and crimson. Note that because of its location in the extreme western portion of the Eastern Time Zone, sunsets occur quite late at Copper Harbor – over an hour later than in Boston, which is in the same time zone.

Copper Harbor coordinates: 47° 28′ 08″ N,  87° 53′ 18″ W