Silhouettes of Mount Pelmo Made by the Setting Sun

May 23, 2018

Capture

Photographer: Marcella Giulia Pace
Summary Author: Marcella Giulia Pace 

This composite image shows the silhouette of Mount Pelmo in northern Italy, as traced by the solar disk at sunset, beginning on January 12, 2018. Using an AstroSolar filter, I shot the moment when the Sun touched the edge of the ridgeline, from January 12 to February 21, 2018. Like a romantic painting, each image of the Sun unveiled new pieces of the mountain's profile. Eventually, I composed the silhouette as if it were a puzzle. The final image is the sum of 15 different sunsets.

The spaces where there’s no Sun are due to the presence of clouds. On February 11, 16, 20 and 22, I was able to insert more pictures of the sunset because the ridge's inclination was nearly parallel to the Sun’s path. In particular, on February 15 the Sun seemed to scale the entire ridge. Note that my shooting position was always the same.

Photo Details: Camera: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS; Software: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh); Exposure Time: 0.017s (1/60); Aperture: ƒ/8.0; ISO equivalent: 100; Focal Length: 226.6mm.