Myna: An Offensive Bird

October 17, 2018

Myna bird in attack (2) (3)

Photographer
: Menashe Davidson 
Summary Author: Menashe Davidson 

Shown above is the common myna bird or Indian myna (Acridotheres tristis). The International Union for the Conservation of Nature declared this species as one of only three birds among the world's 100 worst invasive species. It's native to Asia. Mynas were first brought to Israel two decades ago to be raised in zoos. They escaped, though, and began to reproduce in the wild, initially in Tel Aviv’s Yarkon Park.

I experienced the increase of the myna population firsthand in my apartment garden, Rishon LeZion. Generally, we (myself and the mynas) maintain a level of co-existence. But in the last week of July 2018, this co-existence was broken when a pair of mynas became very aggressive. They attack me every time that I go out to the garden on the top of my apartment. Since the myna bird is a prolific talker, these attacks are accompanied by sharp cries. It's well known that mynas attack humans (and most other critters) when they have a nest nearby, in this case in the adjacent building top. However, their defensive behavior to protect their nest becomes very offensive to everyone who enters what they consider their territory.

Photo Details: Camera: NIKON D7100; Software: Windows Photo Editor 10; Exposure Time: 0.0003s (1/4000); Aperture: ƒ/20.0; ISO equivalent: 6400; Focal Length (35mm): 54.