Cold, Cold Heart

February 13, 2014

Draperice717_29dec13

Photographer: Ray Boren 
Summary Authors: Ray Boren; Jim Foster

While walking around a small pond in Draper, Utah, I noticed what I thought was a small, heart-shaped stone. Upon closer examination, it turned out not to be a rock at all, but a leaf fringed with lacy ice. The leaf appeared thicker than it really was, and at first even seemed to be raised above the surrounding surface due to an interesting 3D effect caused by the ice pattern below it, which tricked my eyes. I wondered if the freezing and thawing on and around the leaf itself produced this special effect. The temperature was below freezing when I snapped the photo. Note also the myriad bubbles that were likely released from the bed of the pond and then trapped beneath the ice. Usually, the number of bubbles present in ice is related to the freezing rate – the faster the freezing rate, the greater the number of bubbles.

My friend Lucy was inspired by the photo, commenting when sharing it on Facebook that “Love is everywhere, even in the coldest spots.” In sad contrast, “my doubtful mind”, as the lyric says, turned to Hank Williams’ classic honky-tonk ballad “Cold, Cold Heart”…. Photo taken on December 29, 2013.

Photo details: Camera Model: NIKON D3200; Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED; Focal Length: 135mm (35mm equivalent: 202mm); Aperture: f/11.0; Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500); ISO equiv: 400; Software: iPhoto 9.5.1.