Encore - A Year from a Window in Oslo, Norway

December 17, 2016

EPOD_EncoreA Year from a Window in Oslo Norway

Today and every Saturday Earth Science Picture of the Day invites you to rediscover favorites from the past. Saturday posts feature an EPOD that was chosen by viewers like you in our monthly Viewers' Choice polls. Join us as we look back at these intriguing and captivating images.

Photographer: Eirik Solheim 
Summary Author: Eirik Solheim; Jim Foster

February 2011 Earth Science Picture of the Day Viewer's ChoiceThe image above showing seasonal changes in Oslo, Norway took a full year to make. January (2010) is at far left and December (2010) is at far right. I glued my single lens reflex camera (SLR) to a window in my home having a particularly nice view and kept it there for twelve months, snapping an image every thirty minutes. The result is a unique image, composed of some 16,000 photos, and two fascinating time-lapse videos (see below). You can clearly see that we have a decent summer season and a very long winter here in Oslo -- snow covers the ground for upwards of four months. However, the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) are relatively brief. The only thing different between the individual shots is the lighting -- the focus point and the f/number remained the same throughout this project.

Photo Details: Canon 400D camera with an EF-S 10-22. I mounted it on a special shelf and covered it with black cloth to avoid reflections in the window. I actually glued the camera to the shelf to make sure it wouldn’t shift. Then I did some test shots -- using ISO 400 and f/6.3. The exposure time was set to auto along with the white balance. The resolution of the approximately 16,000 images is 3,888 × 2,592 pixels. I got some generous help from my blog readers and twitter followers that helped me make a script that would take one line from the first image, the next line from the next image and so on.