Encore - Fogbow Near Mount Luxmore, New Zealand

February 08, 2020

Cloud Bow - New Zealand

Today and every Saturday Earth Science Picture of the Day invites you to rediscover favorites from the past. Saturday posts feature an EPOD that was chosen by viewers like you in our monthly Viewers' Choice polls. Join us as we look back at these intriguing and captivating images.

Photographer: Simon Williams
Summary Authors: Simon Williams; Jim Foster

April 2014 Viewer's Choice Shown above is a breathtaking fogbow I observed hiking the Kepler Track, near Mount Luxmore, Fiordland, New Zealand. The time was approximately 25 minutes after sunrise, around 8:09, on March 10, 2014. As I was hiking up the track in cloud and mist, with the rising Sun directly behind me, the mist cleared somewhat and this wonderful but nearly colorless bow took shape. Mist was being gently blown across the path I was walking along, and I noticed that the bow would form, dissipate somewhat, then form again -- an amazing sight that lasted several minutes. Fogbows are similar to rainbows, but the fog droplets that form them are considerably smaller than raindrops that form rainbows. The small size of the droplets results in overlapping colors that in essence produces a bow bereft of color. Note the supernumerary bows on the inside of the primary fogbow.

[1/20]04242014