Sadr and the Butterfly Nebula

October 18, 2023

Combine_Sadr_and_Butterfly_with_NGC6914_EPOD_SX_MSS2_SSP4

Photographer: Greg Parker    

Summary Author: Greg Parker

I had my first imaging session of the new observing season (post summer) on the mini-Wasp array last night using the 200 mm lenses and the ASI 2600MC Pro CMOS cameras. Featured above is the Cygnus region of the Milky Way. The bright star Sadr (a yellow-white supergiant) sits in the center, and it also sits with the Butterfly Nebula. Sadr, approximately 1,826 light years away, is the 2nd brightest star in the constellation of Cygnus the Swan. Bottom right is the Crescent Nebula, and above Sadr, the blue region, is NGC6914 (a reflection nebula) –- the only patch of blue in a sea of red as I call it.

Imaging details: Last night's data was 12 x 20-minute subs (4-hours) with the ASI 2600MC Pro CMOS cameras and an Optolong L-Enhance filter. The Optolong filter is a superb addition to a one-shot color (OSC) camera as it provides narrowband H-alpha AND OIII filtration. However, with this image this comes at a cost, as a reflection nebula is broad-band blue, so the filter effectively removes the nebula from the image. What to do? Fortunately, I had previously taken unfiltered data of the region using a SX M26C OSC CCD, and in that image the blue reflection nebula was clearly seen. So, I added the 3 hours and 20-minutes of earlier unfiltered data to last night's 4 hours of filtered data, to get the result in the image.

New Forest Observatory, U.K. Coordinates: 50.819444, -1.59

Related Links:

Reflection Nebula IC2087 in Taurus